Butalbital is a barbiturate with an intermediate duration of action. Butalbital is often combined with other medications, such as paracetamol or aspirin, for the treatment of pain and headache. The various formulations combined with codeine are FDA-approved for the treatment of tension headaches.
How should this medicine be used?
The combination of acetaminophen, Butalbital, Caffeine comes as a capsule and tablet to take by mouth. It usually is taken every 4 hours as needed. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take acetaminophen, Butalbital, Caffeine exactly as directed. Do not take more than six tablets or capsules in 1 day. If you think that you need more to relieve your symptoms, call your doctor.
This medication can be habit-forming. Do not take a larger dose, take it more often, or for a longer period than your doctor tells you to.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking acetaminophen, Butalbital, Caffeine,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to acetaminophen, butalbital, caffeine, or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially anticoagulants (‘blood thinners’) such as warfarin (Coumadin), antidepressants, antihistamines, pain medications, sedatives, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, and vitamins. Many nonprescription pain relievers contain acetaminophen. Too much of this drug can be harmful.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had liver disease, porphyria, or depression.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking this medication, call your doctor.
- you should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
What special dietary instructions should I follow?
Acetaminophen, Butalbital, Caffeine may cause an upset stomach. Take this medicine with food or milk.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What side effects can this medication cause?
Acetaminophen, Butalbital, Caffeine may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
- upset stomach
- stomach pain
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:
- skin rash
- difficulty breathing